Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

I have a 2000 Saturn ls2 3.0 v6 I changed timing belt water

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Saturn ls2 3.0 v6 I changed timing belt water pump etc checked the valves none appear to be bent and aremoving up and down as they should shined a light in the spark plug holes all pistons are moving up and down properly but when I turn it over it sounds like the starter is just doing but all camshafts are moving but not even a splutter any idea would be greatly appreciated
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 7 months ago.

Have you checked compression? Should be more than 120 psi and even across all 6 cylinders.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have a compression tester it reads absolutely nothing on all 6 cylinders it's seems odd that none would read anything but if you put your hand over the intake and crank it sucks in quite hard I don't know if that has anything to do with it

I've always used the compression test as the main guideline. Please click here to see the recommended procedure.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
done it exactly like that but not a lick when I was driving it down the road I hit the gas and it immediately went dead no bang no noise nothing just rolled to a stop

In all the cases that I've seen with these 3.0L where the belt broke while the engine was running, there was some kind of internal failure; a few just had bent valves; most had piston and cylinder wall damage as well.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yea that's what I figured the belt didnt actually break the only thing I have found wrong with it so far was the timing belt tensioner berring was bad shot Just flopping around which I'm guessing made it jump it's just odd that there is no sighn of any type of scaring on the tops of the pistons.... When setting the timing do you go by the marks on the crankshaft and cam sprocket marks or do you get the number 1 piston to tdc and go by that?

There are special tools required to install the timing belt on these engines. There are several places that will rent the installation tool kit. Click here for example.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh wow all the research I've done on this engine I have yet to see that but very helpful.. but what that article is stating is that since I have independently turned the crank and the cams my engine is basically toast now?

It sounds like you're getting angry at me. Is there anything that I'm doing wrong?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It was a warning on the tool rental article but that sucks to hear that that's awful news i guess I'll start tearing down the heads and go from there

I'm sorry about what happened to your car. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Best Regards

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
One last question..Anything special out of the ordinary I should know about replacing the heads on this car or is it generally just replacing them?

I'm afraid there is nothing ordinary about these engines. The front transaxle mount needs to be removed so the entire powertrain can be lifted with a jack in order to remove the coolant extension housing. Also, the exhaust cam (marked with the letter "E") needs to be removed for head bolt access. The head bolts are removed in stages.

Before you get into the teardown, I strongly advice searching local salvage yards and pricing a used engine as a more cost effective alternative.