Chris (aka- Moose), Saturn Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2006 Saturn Ion 3. 110 thousand miles. This morning it began

Customer Question

2006 Saturn Ion 3. 110 thousand miles. This morning it began to hesitate when accelerating: push on the gas pedal and it doesn't keep accelerating, but it makes a low pitched noise. We can usually accelerate gently, but it sometimes does this when in first and trying to get moving. checked the plugs cables, all secured, air filter is clear/clean. Also, the check engine light comes on, sometimes blinking and then steady. Is this throttle related, emissions system related? based on the owner's manual trouble shooting chart, this is unclear.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, I would like to try the simpler solutions, as I am not sure if this is a throttle/fuel control problem or something more insidious.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked air filter, checked to make sure all spark plugs connected. We are not "missing" and have done two test drives around the neighborhood. It happens sometimes, not all the time, but I could replicated it two or three times by trying to push down and accelerate hard.
JA: Is there anything else the Saturn Mechanic should be aware of about your Saturn?
Customer: 110000 miles, generally runs well, last oil change two or three months ago.
JA: Our top Saturn Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Saturn Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Saturn Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

Ok, there are over 500 fault codes that will trip the check engine light. Out of these, about 250 or so are engine management related. Without knowing the fault code stored in the computer that set the check engine light, it is simply impossible to know which is stored. Unless you live in California, you can run it by any major parts store and they will scan it for the stored fault codes and give you the fault code number, which you can post here and I can go from there.

I also need to know how it idles in drive while stopped - smoothly, erratically up and down, rhythmically up and down?

Also, does it feel like an engine hesitation, or like the transmission is not responding

Is the low pitched noise a humming noise, or roaring noise, or other noise

Please remember that I am not there and therefore rely on you for as much detail possible and may need to ask for more information on occasion

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Po300 fault code. Idle is fine. More roaring or "throaty" noise. Cleaned throttle body. Did not help.
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

Ok, P0300 is for multiple/random misfire. Do you have a fuel pressure gage, voltmeter, noid lights, engine cylinder compression tester?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
volt meter yes compr test no fuel press gage and ???? Noid lights
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

1. The tech which was helping has opted out.
  2. I believe I can help on this concern if you would like to work with me.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Whatever help you might be able to offer is at this point overcome by events. This service was not timely enough, and I got to the point in the trouble shooting that I either needed some more equipment, or I needed to take it to a service provider. What I had hoped for, which was a point in the right direction, was not available. As it works out, I should have changed the plugs back at 100K miles because the coil is what went bad. That is one of five of the top five "this is what was wrong" for the code we got and were investigating. I will not be using this service again as the response time is too long.

Glad you got it resolved.