Ryan Schott
Ryan Schott,
Experience:  technician at Demarois Buick Gmc
77508644

I turned the AC on first time this year in my Saturn LW300

Customer Question

I turned the AC on for the first time this year in my Saturn LW300 2003 and it blows, but not cold air, and it is very noisy. I know that there's coolant because that was filled in December and hasn't been used since, and they assured me that there were no leaks. I was checking the underhood fuse box to make sure that the coolant fan/blower fuse was alright. What else should I look for?
JA: Leaks can get messy. The Saturn Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Doesn't have a leak.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Saturn Mechanic should know about your Saturn?
Customer: At random times the "Service Engine Soon" light appears, but no diagnostic code can be read. I get a right shift from first to second, but if I reset/erase then I'm good for several hundred miles.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 10 months ago.

alright firstly lets approach that noise concern. Is the noise happening only when the compressor clutch engages?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think so. No significant noise of only the heat is on.

If you can watch the front of the compressor while someone cycles the ac on and off to identify if it is when the clutch ( the front of the ac pulley ) engages then we know you will need a compressor replaced. Double check that and let me know. If it does go that way you will probably want to also replace the receiver dryer and txv/orifice tube.

What did you find?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I haven't had a chance to enlist a friend to help yet. It's midterm exam week and I'm crazy busy grading papers and writing exams. By the time I get home it's far too late to do this in my driveway, in the dark.

No worries. Don't work too hard just let me know when you can.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Will do, thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yeah, won't be using this service again. I was hoping for some ideas/insight to go to my mechanic with and I got an attempt at self-diagnostic/repair less helpful than my Haynes manual. Seven more days for a special price? Nope, not happy about the money I already wasted.