George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

I have a 1998 sw2 froze up. Can I use an engine from a1999

Customer Question

I have a 1998 sw2 froze up. Can I use an engine from a1999 sl2, if so do I need to worry about the computer or electrical system?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  George H. replied 9 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

You need a 1996 - 1998 engine. Car-part.com will help you shop for one in your area.

The 1999 is a one year engine which makes it valuable if it is in good shape. You could trade that engine for a very good 1998 and complete the swap.

Please let me know how I can help you with your question

Thank you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I thought the only barrier I would face is the exhaust manifold. I have both cars complete. The 1999 is manufactured December of 1998, but pink slipped a 1999. So, I cannot swap the engines?

Anything after about June is the next year's model so that is correct that it is a '99.

I believe you will find problems in the head and intake as well as the exhaust manifold. The throttle body and length of the connecting rods with piston design is different as well.

As I posted above the '99 is a rare bird as it is only one year.

I will pull the changes and see if you want to go that route or source a '98. Are you willing to swap heads and put a timing chain on it?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, I pulled the 1998 apart found the crank froze and ruined, so the head probably got hot as well. The cost would probably not be worth it. Thanks!

Probably not, I have found $300 engines on Car-part.com, they can be $600 so it is up to you but trying to get a '99 into a '98 is not worth any effort. That engine was redesigned from the block up.