sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Just put in a new gas tank now car starts but wont stay

Customer Question

just put in a new gas tank now car starts but wont stay running
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Saturn. The Saturn Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: thank you this is the third time we have taken it out and put it back in
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes if possible
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: first tank had a leak so got a new one put it in then drove around seemed ok then went home heard a sound gas was everywhere...
JA: Leaks can get messy. The Saturn Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Saturn Mechanic should know about your Saturn?
Customer: took it out found a hose came undone so put it back together again and then drove it came home turned car off then tired to turn it back on and it will start but wont stay running
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  George H. replied 9 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

What is the year, model and engine size of your Saturn?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it is a 2003, saturn vue 2.2L L4 DOHC 16V

Was the tank from Saturn or a used tank from your exact model?

Was there any issue installing it where the lines did not fit or there was a question about how to connect it?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the tank was ordered online and connecting it was fine no issues there just after driving around came home turned car off then tried to turn it back on and it started then died

If you remove the gas cap will it start?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
just removed it and car started and its on
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
car is still on and running as of right now
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
dose that mean i need new gas cap?

Then it sounds like the venting of the tank is not connected properly. It needs to breathe through the charcoal canister and be vented from the canister through the vent valve near the canister.

I think you are not connected properly or something was left unplugged.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
anyway you have a diagram of how it should be connected?

I have a general diagram, most of the connections only fit one way so I wonder if the vent valve was connected?

Click here for canister

Let me know how I can help, it needs to be able to get air into the system so if the canister is clogged it will not breathe.

Let me know what I can do to help

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
drove the car around without gas cap car drove fine came home shut car off wont start now with cap on or off
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sorry will start but shuts off right away

I don't think I will be able to help you from here so I will OPT OUT of your question,. Sorrry I could not help

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the problem is truly related to replacing the fuel tank then I expect the issue is either with the fuel pump or a wiring/connection issue causing it to lose power or ground.

Have you checked for fault codes?