Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in the automotive field
14892859

Engine has a random misfire at low rpm. Have cleaned

Customer Question

Engine has a random misfire at low rpm. Have cleaned throttle body On to cleaning the egr valve and replacing the throttle position sensor. Any other ideas what would make the engine run rough at low rpm? have already changed plugs and wires.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. What kind of car is it? Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, etc.
Customer: Saturn Sc2 2000 1.9l double overhead cam engine.
JA: Got it. What model and year?
Customer: sc2 2ooo
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have cleaned throttle body On to cleaning the egr valve and replacing the throttle position sensor. Any other ideas what would make the engine run rough at low rpm? have already changed plugs and wiresRead more: http://www.justanswer.com/car/2anpf-saturn-firing-order-sc2-the-spark-plug-coils.html#ixzz41qp3d0Q4
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should be aware of about your Saturn?
Customer: burning oil . running rich
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Classic Car Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If you have a random low RPM misfire, and the electronics are all good and new, the fact that you mention it is burning oil may be the issue. If the oil control piston rings are seized (common on a 16 year old car), I would recommend that you change to a high mileage motor oil, and then get 2 cans of a fuel injection cleaning product known as BG 44-K. This is kind of hard to find but the BG website has a screen where you type your zipcode in and it will tell you where the nearest vendor of this product is. Get a can of the BG 44 K and pour it into the tank. Top the tank off to 3/4 full and drive it, running the tank to 1/4 as fast as you can (the product loses strength if it sits. Then repeat with the other can. The high mileage oil will soften the valve seals and lessen oil dripping down the intake valves into the cylinders. The BG 44K will clean deposits off of the valve faces and clean the injectors. It will also assist in loosing the carbon that is causing the oil control rings to be seized up. Change the high mileage motor oil every 3,000 miles. This should lessen your oil burning and cause the running rich to lower. This is exactly what we would be doing if your vehicle was in our shop. We would not be changing TPS or things like that if there was not failure code for the TPS, etc.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer