EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience
34559540

I put new rear brake pads on my 1996 Saturn sl and it won't

Customer Question

I put new rear brake pads on my 1996 Saturn sl and it won't set the brakes
Category: Saturn
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The old inside pad broke off while I was driving and my caliper piston was damaged. I replaced the piston and brake pads but the piston won't move and there is a lot of space between the caliper and the brake pads
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Did you bleed the air out of the caliper that the piston was replaced in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took off the cap earlier. Should I do it again now the it is all in place? Or was it a mistake
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Have someone pump the brake and then while they are holding the pedal down, loosen the bleeder until air/fluid comes out. Then have them raise the pedal up. Repeat this to get all the air out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to start the car?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

no. and make sure enough fluid stays in the master cylinder.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean loosen the bleeder?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

There is a bleeder on the top of the caliper. It is like an 8mm or 10mm nut on it so you can loosen it to bleed the air out of the caliper. If the rubber cap is on it that is it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it safe to put on blaster on the nut?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

do you mean the penetrating oil?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pb blaster, sorry about the autocorrect
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Thats fine to use. Be careful not to break it off in the caliper. Once you get the air out you will be good to go.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is extremely hard to access with any tool. After using pb it still broke my socket
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 12 months ago.

It should not be that difficult. In the attached picture the bleeder is located right under the spring. The bleeders do like to rust in. Sometimes applying a little heat then cooling it with water then doing that a few times will help loosen it. Usually it is easier to just replace the entire caliper instead of rebuilding it.

Did you get a chance to bleed your brakes? Please let me know how your making out and also rate my service. Thank you.