Super mechanic
Super mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

I took my Saturn vue to the shop and they say I need a new

Customer Question

I took my Saturn vue to the shop and they say I need a new transmission. the car makes a grinding noise when going down the road and slips sometimes if u press on the gas to quick
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the grinding noise usually quits and when starting out the atm is at 3 for longer than should be but after u drive and it gets warm it will quit and the grinding if far b etween
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Saturn Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Super mechanic replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

.

What is the year and engine/trans of it please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2003 2.2
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
would it be possible that it just needs to have fluid added

I see, thanks. Checking the fluid level and condition is preliminary but just to be clear, does it make the grinding noise when in 3rd gear only? Also, are there any clunking sounds when it shifts?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no mostly when it starts out in 1 and 2 no clunking

I see, thanks.

.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

There was a service bulletin for "An engine flare during a 2-3 shift. This condition may be intermittent and may be most noticeable on shifts that occur during light to moderate acceleration."

.

That can sometimes cause a growling noise as the 3rd gear clutch doesn't engage correctly. Before replacing the entire trans, it would be to your best interest to make sure the bulletin has been addressed first.

.

If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the bulletin in a PDF file, the file is rather large.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks

Did you get that?

Do you still need help with it?