Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon,
Experience:  Lead tech at river regions auto
90546729

Ignition fuse keeps blowing after the dealership changed the

Customer Question

ignition fuse keeps blowing after the dealership changed the ignition switch
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Saturn. The Saturn Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2005 saturn ion 187000 no start condition no crank either
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: had the starter tested and it came back good...i haven't tried anything else yet
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Saturn Mechanic should know about your Saturn?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Joe Prestia replied 9 months ago.

Do you have access to a Voltmeter or a test light? I think we can get through this problem

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
not at this time i will have the car tomorrow just wanted to have a game plan going into it.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
is there any way to bypass it to get the car started to get the car home to work on it?

Does the ignition fuse blow right away? Or only when trying to start it? It's not likely we'll be able to bypass it. I know a trick that might work but it may require the ignition to power up other modules for it to run and drive safely.

Was the switch replaced under a recall?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
under a recall previous owners///and they tried to get them to fix it and they said its not on them..
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it is a manual do u think i can bump start it?

Without power to Ignition I don't think the ECM will power up to control ignition and fuel injector pulse. Depending on which circuit the problem is on I could possibly be wrong.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what would i do with the test light

If the fuse is popping as soon as you put it in it isn't going to help you at all. If it only pops when you try to start it then there might be some testing we can to to find out what's going on. Have you had a chance to check the previous technicians work?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i have not.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
if it pops right away there's no testing i can do?

It's seems odd to me that this is happening after the replacement. If you don't mind I'd like to open this up to the other techs and see what they think it's hard to send you in with a game plan not knowing when the fuse pops or seeing what was done

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
gotcha sry the car is 3 hours away...and its my sisters and she doesnt know much

That's fine. I'll opt out now and let the other guys have a look. If you're going to leave me a rating please be sure it's a positive one! I'll keep and eye on this and if there's anything else I can do let me know!

Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 9 months ago.

Hello I am Reggie and happy to help you. So you had the ignition switch replaced and immediately after that one of the main fuses labeled IGN is blowing and the car will not turn over, and you had the starter tested and it was good?

Okay as far as a game plan i can look at the wiring diagram and try to narrow down some possibilities and share a few tips on how to diagnose. Hold on i will review wiring

Hello Again, is the the fuse labeled IGN Sw fuse and is it a 2 amp fuse? is that the one blowing?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The 2 amp

Okay thanks this fuse supplies power to a leg of the switch that goes just to the body control module. If this happened immediatelly after they installed new switch, perhaps a wire got rubbed or cut into the bcm is in the lower center of the dash the wire goes from the switch down to the bcm one is brown the other is dark blue, if you dont see anything in the wiring try unplugging the bcm and see if the fuse still blows if it does not you most likely have a problem internal to the bcm hopefully you will find a wire shorted