FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

I am getting a check engine light and the mechanic said the

Customer Question

I am getting a check engine light and the mechanic said the code is P1A5A - indicating a problem with the car's hybrid engine. I have less than 75,000 miles and I'm told that a total replacement of the hybrid engine is needed. This should not happen, right?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Saturn. The Saturn Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No - I'm not savy like that
JA: OK! The Saturn Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Saturn Mechanic should know about your Saturn?
Customer: I don't think so. Never been in an accident and I regularly change oil and have maintenance done.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me how the vehicle is actually running besides the light being on?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Bobby -It runs fine and then suddenly the engine completely shuts off or stalls and then restarts. Very scary while driving but typically happens at stoplight or stop sign.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 9 months ago.

Thank you. Can you give me the year and model of your Saturn?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Saturn vue hybrid 2007
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 9 months ago.

Thank you. From what you are explaining and from the code you are getting it sounds like the battery pack is getting too hot. Typically this means that the hybrid battery is what needs to be replaced and not the motor.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What does that entail and how much does it cost typically?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 9 months ago.

Typically that entails replacing the hybrid battery, which needs to be done by a hybrid certified mechanic. Most dealerships are going to charge about $5000 to do this. You can sometimes find independent shops that can do this with a refurbished battery for maybe $2500-3000.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The car has less than 75,000 - is the hybrid battery supposed to die that quickly? Is there some sort of warranty? The car isn't worth more than 7,000 at this point....
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 9 months ago.

On a battery, whether it is a hybrid battery or a standard battery, age causes the battery to fail. The mileage does not have anything to do with it. Unfortunately by now it is out of warranty due to the years on the vehicle.