Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Have 08 outlook, v6 engine has raddling noise on

Customer Question

Have 08 outlook, v6 engine has raddling noise on acceleration hooked scanner up has p00 11 code for cam timing advanced,also has code for intake tuning valve,I've already ordered tuning valve,wife's car and she runs cheap 87 gas I've told her run high grade in. Is p00 11 a lengthy repair,and need suggestions,I'm a journeyman die maker for g.m.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you have the dreaded stretched timing chain. It's a nightmare to fix. You will probably have to pull the engine down (yes, it only comes out the bottom) and replace the timing chain and guides. The 2007 and 2009 3.6L both have a special milage coverage for 10 year 120k miles on the timing chain on this vehicle. Everything I have seen shows that GM skipped the 2008 in their coverage campaign though.

After changing the oil it might clear up, but from what I've seen, the chain is probably toast.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Here is a TSB on it from GM. If the noise goes away after the oil change, but the light still sets, you can take it to GM for a re-flash. If the noise is still there, GM recommends timing chain, heads, etc...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good reply
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need any additional info.

Don't forget to rate.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget to rate if you no longer need help. We don't get paid if we don't get a positive rating.