sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Bill ***** *****, issue is with 2008 Vue, 4 cyl, ABS system.

Customer Question

Bill ***** *****, issue is with 2008 Vue, 4 cyl, ABS system. After driving and stopping in traffic, vehicle does not accelerate smoothly, feels like i'm towing something. Using a lot more throttle than usual I can get up to 40mph and I feel a shudder in steering wheel. Got a readout & code Co131 came up. Also, got TCM and ABS symbol on dash. Seems like the brakes are on. jOne other thing, after starting engine there Is no ABS on Dash lite.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Another time when this occurred, I tried pulling up on brake pedal with my foot, and it seemed like that released the brake and the vehicle accelerated smoothly as normal. That's all I got.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Saturn Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

C0131 sets when the ABS module sees pressure in the brake system when it doesn't believe there should be. This code setting along with your symptoms does make brake drag very likely.

It sounds as if you may have a mechanical issue holding the pedal down, whether it's in the master cylinder, pedal assembly or possibly a mechanically sticking brake light switch.

Did pulling up on the pedal help just once, or did you only try it the one time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There appears to be enough brake pedal free-travel for master cyl to return fully. When brake pedal is released, it contacts a couple switches. One switch is probably brake lite, not sure function of 2nd switch. I have found that any time the brakes come on, causing the problem, I can pull up on pedal and it releases what ever is causing the problem. I have done this 4-5 times with same result. I don't have a manual, so am a bit handicapped. Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

Does ambient temperature affect it?

Do you ever hear a hissing under the dash when pressing the brake?