Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

My name is ***** *****. I have a 2006 Saturn Vue 2.2L

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. I have a 2006 Saturn Vue 2.2L automatic. I am trying to pull the engine from the top. I have all accessories/exhaust removed. For the engine to trans, I've removed the 3 torque converter bolts (the converter spins freely) and 9 engine-trans bolts. I can't separate the 2. Am I missing something?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Are there more than 9 engine-trans bolts in a 2006 Saturn Vue 2.2L automatic?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Saturn Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

The powertrain in the Vue was designed to come off the vehicle as one piece from the bottom. I can help you with those procedures which are the same ones we used at the dealer. Otherwise, please let me know and I'll opt out to re-open your request to the field so other experts may chime in.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Juan, even if I drop it on the ground, won't I have the same issue. I could easily take it out the top if it would separate from the trans. Is there more than 9 bolts + torque converter holding the engine to the trans?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you don't know how many bolts connect the engine to the trans, could you re-open the request? Thanks, Mark

Well, my friend, I got to say you are absolutely right and also make perfect sense. Please accept my apologies and tell me if the attached image shows what you need. If not, let me know and I'll try to do better.

Best Regards.

NOTE: if I remember correctly one of those fasteners is a stud, which can be where the hang-up is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I got all those and 1 more. I didn't run into any studs. Which location has a stud?

I believe #2 on the graphic is a stud; the other 7 are bolts. I honestly don't remember there being more than those. Where did you remove that other bolt from?

I just thought of something else I should have asked before; are you working with an automatic trans or a CVT?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Juan - Here's some feedback regarding taking a 2.2L out the top of a 2006 Saturn Vue w/ automatic:
1) Minimal clearance between frame and trans; Need to remove crank pulley bolt and make sure engine is near level
2) Engine is tall but can come out with hood in place; Need to make sure hoist is mounted as close to the top of the engine as possible
3) In addition to the torque converter and transmission bellhousing-to-engine bolts, there are 2 bolts on the front of the engine connected to a brace on the front of the front passenger wheel3) was what was holding me up. The engine went back in easily after figuring out how to get it out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, access is easy enough that the additional items that need to be removed/reinstalled to take it out the bottom would seem to add a lot more time to the job. The install took less than 3 hours from hoist to startup.

That's a well described procedure. If you don't mind sharing it, I'll add it to my database so others can benefit as well.

Thank you very much. Best Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no problem sharing my response.

Thank you. I'll make sure to point out to others that it was your generosity that made it possible for them to save all that extra time and effort.

Best Regards.