FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

My niece put the car in drive from park without pushing in

Customer Question

My niece put the car in drive from park without pushing in the brake, and now the key shuts the car off, but leaves it in the 'acc' position. The shifter goes into park, but the button on the shifter won't pop out. Is there any way to get the key out and car turned off without disconnecting the battery cable?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. There is a mechanism in the shifter assembly that keeps the key from being released until the vehicle is put completely into park. It sounds like she may have broke this when she shifted it incorrectly. Some of these Saturns have a small hole in the bottom of the steering column that you can stick a small screwdriver into so that you can remove the key. If it does not the only way that you can fix this would be to repair was had broke in the shifter assembly. If you need more help please let me know.