George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

We found a broken front speed sensor so we replaced the hub

Customer Question

we found a broken front speed sensor so we replaced the hub assembly. those codes then went away and didn't come back. however we still have many u codes in the ecm. it will not communicate with the bcm abs tcm. vehicle has trouble shifting and I have no readout from the speedometer. any suggestions?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you post the fault code numbers that are setting with this issue here and when you clear out the U codes then turn on off and on the key again which U codes come back first?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

after I clear the codes it takes awhile for them to come back but when they do they are as follows:

ECM

U0073

U0140

U0121

U0101

P0575

Rear Drive System

No communication with module at all

SIR

B0090

Shifting trouble and speedometer only after lights come on. Lights are service 4wd, SIR and the check engine light.

Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,has any wiring repair been done recently on your vehicle at all or any after market components wired in to your vehicle before this fault occurred?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

There was some broken can wires near the rear differential which I repaired. Other than that the only thing that has been done was an aftermarket GPS unit. Like the ones the buy here pay here guys put on their vehicles. I think I have it completely disconnected though.

Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,unfortunately this is a difficult one for me to fully diagnose from here as my info isnt showing all of these codes here on this model but someone else here may have more info on this.I apologize for this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

New expert here.

So first, it looks like you have a couple of occupancy sensor codes setting. I would inspect the passenger front seat occupancy sensor wiring for damage (and make sure no one is setting a cell phone on the passenger seat while driving).

Next, I would try running an external ground to the ECM to see if some of those communication codes will go away. I've seen chafed wires, as you mentioned you found in the rear, cook the PCM ground and cause all kinds of wacky codes to pull up.

Lets see what it looks like from there.

Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

I just wanted to check and see if you need any additional info.