rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

My 2009 Saturn Aura died without warning as I slowed down to

Customer Question

My 2009 Saturn Aura died without warning as I slowed down to make a turn. When I try to restart it will start and run for a second or two and stall.
When I turn the key to the on position the throttle body closes all the way for 2 seconds and then "clicks" and opens just a little. After a few more seconds it goes back to resting point even with key on.
What could be the problem
Category: Saturn
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

It sounds like you lost your fuel pump or spark to the plugs. You need a gauge to test the fuel pressure. You need to check for spark at the plugs while cranking the engine over.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have fuel and spark at start up. The car starts for a few seconds. If I didn't have fuel or spark it would just crank. Something is shutting of the fuel or turning off the spark.What would make the throttle body respond the way it does? It never released its position before with the key on.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 10 months ago.

Not true for fuel or spark. The pressure can be low or t h e spark weak. Will you test these properly so we're not spinning our wheels ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The vehicle starts and stays running as long as I spray starter fluid into the throttle body so spark must be good.
I rented a fuel pressure tester and I get 30 psi with first 2 seconds of pump run and 50 psi with second 2 seconds of pump run.
Pressure bleeds down quickly. Drops to 30 psi in less than 5 minutes.
I await your reply.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 10 months ago.

Ok, this tells you that there is NO FUEL. Check injectors for power too.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.