Super mechanic
Super mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

What make a car not go more than 30mph at times?

Customer Question

Category: Saturn
Expert:  Super mechanic replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using the site. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

You will want to check the fuel pressure to see if it is too low. Also that the filter is not restricting the flow of fuel.

..

Then if the fuel pressure and flow are good, the exhaust may be a little bit restricted. You can have a back pressure test done on it at most exhaust shops to see if the cat is clogged.

.

.

If they are both ok, then you will want to take a sample of the fuel to be sure that it’s not contaminated.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When I put it on the machine the engine light is on and when I had it checked the 700 code came up and when the car won't go no more than 30 mph I pull over , turn the ignition off , wait a little while and start it back up it'll start running back normal again.

I see, thanks. That code does indicate a trans problem. P0700 is a code that commands the check engine light on. You will want to have the trans codes read to see if there are any that relate to the trans, possibly going into limp mode, thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks but what about when the trans starts messing up and I pull over and restart the car and it starts acting normal....could it be the transmission computer ?

Right, that is clearing the limp mode temporarily, until the problem occurs and the trouble code sets. Most of the trans systems are protected by the computer and if there is a problem it won't shift for the reainder of that ignition cycle.