Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Saturn Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Saturn Diagnostics
18617752

I am trying to check my power steering fluid on my 2002

Customer Question

I am trying to check my power steering fluid on my 2002 Saturn SL one series car and was told that transmission fluid is the same thing as power steering fluid is this true? And also what is the proper way to add the fluid
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.

Back in the day, it was "ok" to use transmission fluid for power steering fluid. These days... not so much. Best bet here is stick with a GM-spec Power Steering Fluid. This should be readily available at any local parts store.

As for adding fluid- remove the cap and pour the fluid right into the reservoir. On the stick attached to the cap, there are lines that will show where the correct level is full. Add some fluid then install the cap and check the level against the marks on the dipstick until the correct level is achieved.

For an image of the power steering reservoir, click here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9zcyuxx6xsvbcl/ps-res.jpg?dl=0

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.