George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

My thermostat gauge isn't working. the mechanic got the

Customer Question

Customer: my thermostat gauge isn't working. the mechanic got the po128 code. before I replace thermostat, how difficult would it be to get software recalibrated
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: thermostat is stuck open not allowing engine to come up to operating temperature
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Saturn Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how long is wait? also can any mechanic calibrate software and how expensive
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Saturn
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
my car is a 2007 Saturn ion 2.2, 4 cylander engine
Expert:  George H. replied 10 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

You can have the latest calibration installed at any shop with a J box and a subscription to TIS. It should cost 1 hour of labor.

Reprogramming the computer will not stop this code if the stat is stuck open, changing the stat is required.

Please let me know how i can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
my car seems to be running just fine. How soon should I get it fixed if temp guage is stuck in open loop and the engine is running on cold side. can it damage my car?

You will certainly use more fuel if it is running in open loop and should feel less power.

The computer depends on this change in temperature to determine closed loop operation so you should get it fixed as soon as you can. A stat that sticks open can also close without warning and might stick there overheating the engine.

Thank you