Pete, Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  17 years Saturn Technician experience.
14928985

Bought a 2004 saturn vue 2.2 awd with 121.000 miles, drove

Customer Question

Hi bought a 2004 saturn vue 2.2 awd with 121.000 miles, drove ok for about a week and the transmisssion seemed to start slipping. swapped out the tcm from used car and ran fine for couple of days with no issues, swapped back the old tcm to verify that was the problem and tranny seemed to be slipping again. Put new tcm back in and now that one is doing the same thing! Do you think the tcm needs to be reprogrammed? both tcm's were from 2004 2.2 awd's. Was showing codes Po7000 and po 7001. Thanks for your help
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you had the fault codes checked at all to see what codes are set?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
po7000 and 7001
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry po700 and 701
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

I apologize as I do see you did post that above and I didnt see that until now.Are these codes coming up with the new or other used TCM installed or just with the original TCM installed?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Original no codes set on new one though it is now acting the same way! Feels like stuck in first though this is the dreaded cvt tranny.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,the codes here are indicating a fault with communication between the TCM and ECM and that the TCM has requested the ECM to turn on the check engine light.

Since the fault codes were only with the orignal TCM installed I suspect the TCM is the cause here especially since it did work fine for a short period with the replacement TCM installed.

There are different calibrations/programming for the TCM all depending on the vehicles VIN break so there is a good chance that the incorrect programming is installed in the replacement TCM you installed.

The first thing I would have done here for this is have a GM dealer reprogram the TCM to your vehicle to see if this corrects the fault.If this does not correct the fault then you may have an internal mechanical fault in the CVT itself with it needing removed and taken apart for inspection and repair or replaced.The CVT was common for internal mechanical failures needing replaced but with the issue here this may just be simple programming that needs done.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I agree do not think it's the tranny because it was working fine and when I changed modules back went back to operating the same way! It is also showing Saturn code c205b
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

My info isnt listing the C205b for this model here so this may be a calibration/programming issue with the TCM with it needing reprogrammed by a dealer to correct this fault here.I suspect this will correct this issue here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete