Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

With a 2003 saturn ion. The dealer says they need to replace

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, with a 2003 saturn ion. The dealer says they need to replace the throttle body after yesterday replacing fuel pump wiring for $350.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The only evidence was an engine light which they read and cleared otherwise the performance is fine. The light came on yesterday after leaving them for the first time ever.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Saturn Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** sounds like dealer made repair that wasn't needed which is why they are now trying to do something else. If there was a problem with fuel pump wiring it would most likely effect performance and would definitely set different diagnostic codes then the throttle body. Do you know what diagnostic codes you were getting or are getting now? Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was unable to read it before dealer reset. My plan is to continue to drive it until the light comes on again and read it then.
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

I think that is a good plan. I'd also see if dealer has old wire harness they replaced. I'd also ask what diagnostic code was before. So then at least we will have enough information to call them out on replacing wrong parts and hopefully replacing throttle body at a discount if that is whats needed. Let me know what code is when you get a chance to check or if you run into other questions. You can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks.