George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

During the last winter the rear window washer diffuser would

Customer Question

During the last winter the rear window washer diffuser would completely empty the reservoir onto the ground as soon as the car was turned on with the rear defrost on. We thought it was because of the extreme cold. Then it happened again in mid-July. I realized it was when the rear defrost was turned on only. My mechanic then disconnected the rear window washer. Now the rear defrost is no longer working. I wonder if it's something electrical that is to do with the rear window system. I can go without the rear window washer but not without a rear defrost. Advice?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Are you trying to basically figure out what your mechanic did to disable the rear defrost, so you can undo it to make your defroster work again?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My mechanic did not dismantle the defrost; only the washer hose. The defrost just stopped working one day a while after the intervention by the mechanic. Doesn't this sound like something electrical or some system that is shorting out or something? I won't be able to drive if I lose my rear wiper next.

I am sure this is an electrical problem. It could be a fuse, the switch or the grid in the window . Have you first checked all fuses? There is a fuse block under the hood and another one in the passenger compartment on the passenger side near the left foot.