Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My radio in my '04 saturn ion went out and I came across a

Customer Question

my radio in my '04 saturn ion went out and I came across a newer stock radio from a different car, I was wondering if it were possible to swap these two radios. I have the ion 2 with the 6 disc changer and the radio I obtained is GM PART NO. 25782841.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, that unit came out of a 2007-2009 GM full size pickup or suv. It will not be a straight swap as the harness connectors are different, so you would need to get harness connectors from a 2007-2009 GM truck/suv, cut your connectors and wire up the connectors you bought. Then once installed, you will need to take to a dealer and have your VIN number programmed into the radio as the VIN number matching is what unlocks it. And this requires a Tech2 scan tool and GM software

So, while doable, it is not a simple swap out

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating