Pete, Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  17 years Saturn Technician experience.
14928985

I have a 2008 saturn Outlook 3.6 with no start condition,

Customer Question

i have a 2008 saturn Outlook 3.6 with no start condition, good spark, and fuel, no dtc and very low engine compression across the board, thinking it jumped timing looking to get the procedure to R&R the timing cover and chains
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If you have good pressure and spark and there is low compression there is a good chance one of the timing components has failed.

Unfortunately on this model the engine has to be removed in order to remove the timing cover and timing components.This is step one

" 1. Remove the frame from the body with the engine and transmission. Follow steps 1-40 in Engine Replacement-Removal."

It is removed from under the vehicle with the engine and transmission still connected using a frame support jack to remove frame and engine/transmission as a complete assembly.

If you still want the procedure on how this is accessed to check and replace timing components let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
this sounds like its going to be a fun one, ok so drop the engine cradle and then?
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Here is the rest of the procedure to get the timing cover off.

2. Remove the lower intake manifold

3. Remove the camshaft covers.

4. Remove the water outlet housing assembly

5. Remove the drive belt tensioner

6. Remove the water pump pulley

7. Remove the power steering pump.

8. Remove the crankshaft balancer.

9. Remove the camshaft position sensors.

10. Remove the camshaft position actuator solenoid valves from the front cover.

11. Remove the generator.

Important: There are a total of 22 M8 bolts that must be removed and 3 optional M12 bolts that may need to be removed before the front cover will separate from the engine block.

12. Remove engine front cover.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvvlzd9t7wkxien/cover-12-29.gif?dl=0

This is a large procedure on how to check and replace the timing chains on this model here which includes lots of pictures and torque data and specific info.It may be best to pick up a short subscription to https://www.alldatadiy.com/.They charge around $26 for a subscription for your vehicle here and is good for one year on all repairs and diagnosis and diagrams.

I am not showing the complete step by step on the timing chain replacement myself but their info will have all you need for replacement as well as anything else you may need on your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok so started tearing it down and noticed alot of oil/water I'm the inlet air tube and mass air flow, this just a stuck pcv valve or think it has some pretty serious blow by
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Pull the spark plugs and see if they look wet as well and have this color fluid coming out.This color indicates water and oil mixed and may be all due to a leaking cylinder head gasket or damaged cylinder head needing replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Plugs pretty old abused and full of carbon, it definitely jumped timing hard, the intake cam on the right head spins about as easy as a idle pull for a serpentine belt
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

There is a chance the head was damaged or worse the cylinder walls have cracks in them causing the fluid color issue here.You might examine components as you take it apart for any visible issues needing repaired and if your not replacing the cylinder heads at all I would have these tested by a machine shop to make sure none are damaged.It would be a good idea to remove these to have them tested so you dont run into any other issues during the repair.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yeah figured pulling heads and they are getting redone
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

O.k.,if you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete