Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

2007 Saturn Outlook with what I believe to be the dreaded

Customer Question

Customer: 2007 Saturn Outlook with what I believe to be the dreaded 3-5-R issue. Last week the car started "shuttering" when it shifted into third gear under normal driving and also a few times while cruising in 5th gear. It seemed to not do it if you drove from a stop agressively with the throttle position as it shifted through the gears. Reverse seems to be fine. I found online about the issue on the wave plate and was upset to say the least. I had the fluid drained and replaced this past weekend and added a bottle of ***** ***** Transmission Fix just to try. The fluid that was drained definitely seemed to have some "darkness" to it like metal. This morning I took it to dealer for inspection because Monday I found the Special Coverage Adjustment #14404 from GM and our car was 500 miles under the 120k mile limit. The women service writer told me that if it was a wave plate issue that there would be codes set but the check engine light has never came on. Is this true?? I have a bad feeling they are going to call me and say that the wave plate is fine. I will say that after the car has set for two solid days with the ***** ***** in it and no driving that it didn't seem to do the "shuttering" near as bad as before the flush and ***** *****. Any thought????
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The car when driving normally would shutter when it shifted into 3rd. you could let off and gentle get back on the throttle and 80% of the time it would accelerate on and be ok. As I stated a few times while cruising below 44 mph I had felt it do the same shutter. But, if you hammer the throttle from a stop and accelerate faster than I probably legal or safe it seems to shift out ok, I assume because there is a higher fluid pressure in the trans pushing against the plate.??
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Saturn Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes and my name is ***** ***** Not sure why it said ***** ***** :)
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 11 months ago.

Hi,My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating.

Please understand that the codes in the transmission may not cause a check engine light. It is most likely that you do have the wave plate issue.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. A rating is required from you rating me. I am not an employee of this website. I do not have control over the fees, or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative, or not at all. You still pay. I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

It has been a couple of days since I have heard from you. Do you still need assistance? I have also noticed that I have not received a rating from you. If for some reason you question did not get answered please reply. I am only compensated for my time when you leave a positive rating. Your understanding is appreciated.