Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

The PARK circuit on my 1999 Saturn SC2 blows. Removing all

Customer Question

The PARK circuit on my 1999 Saturn SC2 blows. Removing all the bulbs (tail lights, front blinkers, fender marker lights, and license plate lights), still blows the fuse. Disconnecting the connection to the cluster light dimmer, fuse still blows. Any ideas of where to look next?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 12 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating.

There is not a whole lot on that circuit. It goes to the headlight switch and then to a junction block and out to the lights. You probably have a wire rubbed through. I would start looking in the trunk and under the hood. Look for a wire loom that is loose or out of place. The headlight switch could also cause the problem but not real likely.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 11 months ago.

It has been a couple of days since I have heard from you. Do you still need assistance? I have also noticed that I have not received a rating from you. If for some reason you question did not get answered please reply. I am only compensated for my time when you leave a positive rating. Your understanding is appreciated.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I ran new wires from the output of the parking light switch (brown wire) to all the rear lights and to the front parking lights. All of those now work without blowing the fuse. The short apparently is up in the dashboard, related to the dashboard lights (although disconnecting the dashboard dimmer did not solve the problem). Maybe the light around the cigarette lighter.

The wires could be shorted or corroded under the carpet causing your problems. Also the cluster or any interior light could also cause your problem. Unfortunately it is a trial and error process from here.