George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

My 2001 saturn sl2's idle pulley blow off while she was

Customer Question

my 2001 saturn sl2's idle pulley blow off while she was driving, so she drove it home where the mechanic changed the belt and pulley. now when he turns it over it wont start..
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Amedee replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome! Did you still need help? Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
im waiting on an answer
Expert:  Amedee replied 12 months ago.

Ok sounds good! Would you like help diagnosing the issue?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
there are no codes on my diagnostic tool.
Expert:  Amedee replied 12 months ago.

Something came up and I need to log off for the night. I am very sorry. I will leave this question open for other experts as someone should be with you shortly. Thank you.

Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 12 months ago.

Hello you say the idler pulley came off while driving, mechanic changes it and now the car turns over but no start. And you drove it home with the idler pulley off which means you drove it home with no serpentine belt on engine? How far of a drive is this? Because you would have had no alternator or water pump. If it drove to the site where the new parts were installed we are to assume something went wrong with instalation of belt and idler. I saw were u have no codes, on your data do you have cranking rpm when spinning motor over? Do you have fuel pump operation?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
i drove it only two blocks.
1). do you have cranking rpm when spinning motor over? ...yes.
2). Do you have fuel pump operation?....yes

Hello again sir sorry today was a madhouse we were so busy and i am thankful for it. Let me be clear here on your car it was the serpentine belt and not the timing belt.. I have tried to think what could have happened with a belt installation.

But we will just take it from the top, you have no codes, cranking rpm is showing up on scanner vehicle will crank but no start. And you have fuel pressure, that leaves us with is it firing, and are the injectors being pulsed? By being pulsed i mean are they being turned on and operated by the computer. They receive 12 volts with key in run position, and the computer pulse grounds them when it has seen an rpm signal. Have you checked for this? I will be watching my computer tomorrow when you get up and are ready we will get this figured out. But if you can check for ignition spark at plug, the plugs are easy pull them out, make sure there not fouled, and check for injector pulse a noid light is cheap at parts house just unplug injector and plug it in spin car and it should blink. I will be waiting to hear your results.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i have spark, and the injectors are pulsing.
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 11 months ago.

The car spins over, has fuel pressure, injector pulse and spark? Have you pulled the plugs are they fouled