Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Humming sound driving down the ghway almost like bad wheel

Customer Question

Hi there! Humming sound driving down the highway almost like bad wheel bearing or tire issue. We've replaced bearings. Put new tires. Still there. Mechanic said he had up on rack running and thinks sound may be coming from transmission area. ( sounds like it's coming from front end to me) he's recommended taking to a trans man he spoke to who said they are notorious for problems. It shifts smooth. No shudders. No problem. Any insight? It's a 2008 Saturn Vue FWD. Thanks
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am cam.

With new front bearings and your tech being able to hear it in a hoist, that does suggest a bearing in the transmission, likely the final drive. On a front wheel drive, the final drive is like the differential. The bearings can start to fail causing a noise/vibration but because of the design, you won't notice any shifting issues. I feel your best bet would be to visit a reputable transmission shop.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would this require a new transmission? Or is this a repairable issue if the bearing in transmission.

That will depend on the extent of the damage inside. If there is only a bearing then I am sure its easier and cheaper to repair. IF there is more damage then honestly a rebuilt assembly may be cheaper. I Am positive a good transmission shop will inspect and present you with both options with costs. Keep in mind that most reman transmission carry a great warranty, gm for instance have a 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ahh. We are over the warranty. :( thank you. On to the Tran Shop.

No, I mean that if you get a rebuilt one, the new ones will carry that warranty.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. Please rate my answer OK to Excellent service and feel free to ask any follow up questions regarding this issue you may have.
Please know that the only compensation for my time spent assisting you is when you provide that rating.

AND if you have any follow up questions, please reply.