George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

I have a 07 Saturn vue with the v6 when it is below 40 deg

Customer Question

I have a 07 Saturn vue with the v6 when it is below 40 deg the alternator will charge 17-18 volts for about 2 minutes and then charge fine the rest of the time and it makes the bcm go stupied flashing lights radio dose not work dash dose not work the customer
put an alternator on a few months back and I thought it was a bad alternator so I have tried 2 and changed the battery with a good one I had and no luck no codes in pcm has a p1328 in the bcm
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Jon Scott replied 1 year ago.

I have seen many of these alternators fail out of the box here is what you need to do

1. Check the White/Blue wire to the alternators "L" terminal for 5 volts using a Digital Volt Ohm Meter (DVOM) with the alternator unplugged and the engine running.

2. Verify battery voltage present at the output terminal of the alternator.

3. If 5 volts are present, replace the alternator again.

Let me know how it goes thanks Jon

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has already been replaced 3 times
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 times in a week I have had problems with alternators before but not more than three
Expert:  Jon Scott replied 1 year ago.

I had a red line that I changed out 4 alternators until I suceeded

Expert:  Jon Scott replied 1 year ago.

All of the electronics that regulate voltage is in the alternator the White/Blue wire sends 5volts via the computer to turn it on and off. the large red wire sends B+ voltage to charge the bat

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is what I though too but I just wanted to be sure but I will check the wire but it is just strange for all of them to do the same thing it only dose it for about 2 minutes and then it is fine no matter how much you drive and it has to be below about 40 I tried at 45 deg and it done right and again at 35 and it charged to much volts thanks and I will try that Monday first thing
Expert:  Jon Scott replied 1 year ago.

I no problem if you have any more questions let me know.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It has got 11 volts on the white blue wire
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I sent a message the other day the white with the blue wire has almost 11 volts on it at all times the other wire unplugged has five volts does it matter that the other wire the blue and White wire has 11 volts