john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech 15 + years foreign domestic & european
6149662

I have an 04 Saturn ion it cranks over and starts but dies

Customer Question

I have an 04 Saturn ion it cranks over and starts but dies immediately. the tailpipe has white smoke coming out of it. I have replaced the plug, both 02 sensors and new catalytic converter.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 1 year ago.

any codes? is the theft or security light on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First I cot the o2 sensor code and changed them then I have no codes theft light has never been on gets lights on dash . It acts like it's not getting fuel or something and every once in awhile it backfires

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition.