George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

In July 2009, I bought a brand new Saturn Sky. It has 72,400

Customer Question

In July 2009, I bought a brand new Saturn Sky. It has 72,400 miles on it and now sign, a Triangle with a car inside said triangle with 2 swerving lights is appearing on the dash. Also Brake Fluid will appear first, Service ESC and last Service Transaction comes on. I have had the brake fluid checked and it is fine. What is wrong with my car and is this problem due to one of the many recalls on my car?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

That light is showing that the traction control system is deactivating its self. This happens any time the vehicle's computer detects a fault. To avoid incorrect activation of the traction control system because of a fault in any other system the computer turns the system off. The fault could be triggering for a number of reasons. To get and idea of what is causing the fault you will need to have the vehicle scanned for trouble codes.

The most common cause on the saturn sky is faulty speed sensors, a cylinder misfire, or poorly performing cam actuators.

Do you plan to diagnose/repair the problem yourself? You will need a scan tool if you do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
U say in your response that it could beasily coming on for numerous reasons, what are they? I would have thought you would tell me any and all reasons the light is coming on
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

It could be:

a bad speed sensor on one of the wheels

a bad speed sensor in the transmission

a bad ABS controller

a bad transmission

a bad transmission controller

a bad PCM

a short in any of the control modules

a misfire due to: ***** ***** bad spark plugs, a bad ignition coil, a weak fuel pump, a vacuum leak, a broken wire

a loose air filter duct

a tear in the air filter duct

a faulty mass air flow sensor

a faulty MAP sensor

a faulty oxygen sensor

a plugged catalytic converter

a bad cam position sensor

a bad crank position sensor

a bad cam phaser/actuator

a bad oil filter causing poor cam phaser activation

low brake fluid caused by: a leak, low brake pads, a bad proportioning valve,

etc.....

I didn't consider a list of every possibility very helpful. The service ESC light can come on to indicate any fault in the vehicle that might remotely interfere with the function of the ESC system.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The only way to really be helpful on this one is to know what trouble codes are triggering in the system. Otherwise, the only answer is: it could be anything- because that is how the system is designed; to turn the light on and the traction system off for any reason.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need any more help.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need additional information. I would love to help if you still need assistance.