sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My 2003 Saturn Ion is running fairly normal until I stop at

Customer Question

My 2003 Saturn Ion is running fairly normal until I stop at a red light. When I let off the brake the RPM's will drop to where it sets the check engine light on and nearly stall. My mechanic states that the codes are for the carburetor, but we're fairly sure that is not the problem. Would it be the oxygen intake sensor?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that could cause an idle undershoot or power loss. The engine light is coming on because the powertrain control module is seeing a failure in a monitored component at the time this is happening and setting a fault code. If the light comes on at the time the problem happens then the code is going to be related to the symptoms.

Carburetors went away in the early 80's and all modern vehicles are fuel injected. Do you know the P code numbers that are setting?