john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech 15 + years foreign domestic & european
6149662

Past few days, my car will leak coolant like crazy under the

Customer Question

for the past few days, my car will leak coolant like crazy under the front passenger side tire, then when I refill it it will be fine for a few short city trips, then it will start the down pour again. why is this not a steady leak? why is of for a while then just leak everywhere?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 1 year ago.

is it running hot when this happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, not until all the fluid has leaked out.

are the fans working? have you performed a pressure check?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fans are working. After it starts to run hot, the fan will stay on after I turn the car off. I have not performed a pressure check, I am not that mechanically inclined.

is it pushing out the overflow drain?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't see where its coming from exactly, It's leaking out like crazy from the passenger side just behind the tire. It might be if thats where the overflow drain is.

it is...sounds like its boiling over..is it running normal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it seems like its running the same as always.

how quick and often does it overheat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well two days ago we got the oil changed and the fluids topped of because the low coolant light was on. yesterday morning on the way to work the fluid was gone and I filled it up with some water to make it to work. in the after noon it was gone again. Today, i changed the thermostat and refilled the fluids, and it ran like a champ until around noon, when it leaked all over my driveway after returning home from running some errands. I watched the temp the entire time and it did not overheat at all when i was driving it. I filled it up with some water to try and see if I could pin point the leak, but nothing happened, I drove the car around to see if I could get it to leak and I could not. But after returning home from the gym tonight, I checked and there is water everywhere in my driveway again.

I would have a combustion leak test performed you may have a failed head gasket.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was thinking the water pump with the placement of the leak from the articles I have been reading online.

is it leaking from the waterpump or the overflow bottle? a pressure check would confirm if it was water pump failure, or you can look at the water pump for signs of coolant or staining

here is a pic of the water pump on the 1.9 saturn

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what are some of the reason you would suspect a head gasket issue?

it pushes all the antifreeze out rapidly and overheats...most water pump leaks are slow...I would visually look at the water pump

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how much would a compression test cost. and just from reading some articles, they say low compression would be the primary reason to check into the head gasket.

usually one hour fee at a shop, or they can perform a block leak test, sometimes compression checks for head gaskets are inconclusive

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you