George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

I hope you're having a great day. I have a saturn vue 2004 4

Customer Question

Hello. I hope you're having a great day. I have a saturn vue 2004 4 cycl. When I make a left turn and accelerate, I get a rattling/grinding sound. It goes away when straightening out and doesnt sound on right turns or straight or any other time when accelerating. Any ideas?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

This is the sound of a failing CV joint in the drive axle on the left side. Replace the left axle and the noise will stop. It will get worse over time until the joint separates.

Please let me know if you have further questions

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually, I have done some research and seen some videos/heard audio of bad CV join and it is not like the sound I'm experiencing. The sound I'm hearing is more like a progressively louder winding up/grinding, not a clunking rattling sound.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

You can test this by finding a quiet parking lot and turning the wheel full left then run the vehicle in a tight circle, if you get the rattle/noise then straighten the wheel it is in the joint. They do not all sound the same. Turn the wheel all the way right and repeat, if you don't hear the noise it is in the joint.

You checked external sources and could even have a person stand on the inside of the circle to listen to the noise.

Please let me know what happens when you try that test.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just did the test. Can go 15 mph in tight circle either direction with NO sounds whatsoever. As soon as I accelerate out of a left turn the whiny rattle shows up. Straighten out the car and it goes away. Pulled into to my driveway and accelerated up it slightly and got a faint sound. Definitely affected by acceleration, but almost imperceptible accelerating straight. Most noticeable accelerating out of a left turn.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

I agree it is not the axle then, it will take a hands on inspection to move further with this so I will OPT OUT of your question

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright George. Have an awesome day.