Chris (aka- Moose), Saturn Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

When I put the car in reverse to say move out of a parking

Customer Question

When I put the car in reverse to say move out of a parking spot, sometimes the car lunges, a real hard jerk. Now I found it does it while drving too. It lunged forward and made me hit a cement piece in the alley and I blew a tire. This comes fromout of nowhere.
I thought transmission but have been told it is the engine and computer problem. I see lots of others post this same type of issue with their Saturn. Mine is a SL2 with only 80000 miles on it. set Scarry
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I am Chris (aka-Moose)

When this occurs does the engine rpm increase?

Is this issue occurring while already in drive or reverse or when shifting into those gears?

What is the idle speed in park at operating temp?

----------Once you get an answer----------

1) Please realize I base my info requests and answers on what you type.

2) The more you can tell me the faster and better I can help.

3) I am not an employee for Just Answer, they pay me nothing to help you.

4) I am paid by the customer from your deposit, but only when you rate my answer.

5) You will notice it says rate to finish, rating does not close the post, or end our conversation.

6) I am going to stay in contact with you until you respond and tell me your happy or pleased with the answer. So please reply and let me know the progress on the issue and our discussion or if more help is needed.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It usually has occured when I am leaving a parking space and I put it in reverse or drive and it lunges either forward or back and it is a forceful surge. If I didn't have my foot on the brake it would do damage to the car in front or back of me. It is like a race horse taking off. So the engine rpm does increase drastically. It occurs right after I have shifted it into drive or reverse. I don't know what you mean by idle speed. If you mean when it is in park what speed the motor is operating, it is normal not racing or too fast in my mind..

Thanks, ***** ***** engine rpm is increasing that means its not the transaxle. That means its the engine. Gonna mention it but I am sure its not the case, make sure your not driving with 2 feet and hitting both pedals, nor the floor mat is wadded up near the throttle pedal. I recommend cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensor, then retest. If it still occurs remove the brake booster vacuum hose and plug it and retest, you will not have power brakes so be aware the pedal will be hard to press. If the issue is gone then there is a booster or vacuum check valve failure. If its still there I suggest replacing the idle air control and monitoring the throttle position sensor for reading incorrect.