George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

Daughters car Saturn VUE AWD. Must be 4cyl with no dipstick.

Customer Question

Daughters car Saturn VUE AWD. Must be 4cyl with no dipstick for transmission. Found a large puddle of fluid? where VUE was parked. Fluid is clear with a very light pinkish hue and no smell. She has driven it 10 miles before I got a chance to look underneath. I do not see any signs where it leaked from. Only thing I can check is the brake fluid which is at max. Any ideas what it could be? Just took car for 3mi run and seems OK.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

There are only 5 fluids on the vehicle:

Power steering- should be clear or browish with a distinct smell.

Coolant- orange or pink, with little or no smell, can be fishy smelling if it's old, very slimy feeling- hard to wipe off.

Brake fluid- should be very clear- there isn't much in the system, so any leak at all will make the brakes fail.

Engine oil- brown or golden brown- smells like oil, wipes off easily.

Transmission fluid- red or brown with a distinct smell- doesn't leak very often on the vue.

You might also notice condensation from the AC unit on this car if you have the AC on. It will drip water on the passenger side right in front of the passenger front seat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Saturn mechanic? Really. The Saturn VUE has an electrical steering system so no pump or fluid. I know very little about the car but even I knew that.I am familiar with the basic fluids in an automobile so your answer does nothing for me. This question was for a mechanic who actually worked on this vehicle model, which is who the web page represented would be answering this question. I agreed to the 5.00 charge and that better be the only charge on it.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

It depends on which engine you have. The 2.2L has electric power steering, the 3.0L does not; it uses a traditional hydraulic pump.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Telling exactly what type of fluid it is remotely will be very challenging.

Were you able to touch the fluid to check consistency?

You could take a picture of it and attach it here, then I could try to tell you if you would like. I could probably identify it quickly if I saw it.

I have more experience with fluids on both the 2.2L GM engine and the 3.0L (honda derivative) engine in the Saturn Vue than anyone else on the planet. I am confident in that. I ran a lube and repair shop for 16 years and changed the oil on over 70 vehicles per day.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

When you say the only thing you can check is the brake fluid, do you need help checking the other fluids?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I do not need help checking any other fluids because they cannot be checked. There is no transmission dipstick, no power steering fluid, and the fluid is certainly not engine oil of any kind. The pool of fluid underneath a Saturn Vue is a common problem on the Internet but I did not see any answers to it. I believe this question could be easily answered by someone familiar with actually working on the model. Send a picture of what? it is a clear "odorless fluid". I wasted 2 hours of my time. The bot***** *****ne is if you actually worked on Saturn VUE's than you can easily answer the question. If you haven't then your guess is no better than mine.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I have worked on thousands of Saturn Vues. I've repaired engines, VCT solenoids, coils, plugs, timing belts, brakes, ac compressors, PCMs, wiring issues, window regulators, catalytic converters, etc on these vehicles. When it comes to fluid/maintenance related items, I can tell you the check plug and drain plug sizes, filter numbers, and belt size from memory.

If you are going to insist that I have not "actually worked on" a Saturn Vue when you have no idea who I am or what I have or have not worked on, then I can't help you.

I can assure you that a large pool of unidentifiable fluid underneath the vehicle is not a common problem with this vehicle.

You can in fact check all of the fluids on your Vue farily easily (except the transmission on the 2.2l-you will need a floor jack) and I can walk you through it if you would like.

I will need to know which engine you have if you do since you stated earlier that you weren't sure.