Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I'm having a problem with the cooling fan in my 2003 Saturn

Customer Question

I'm having a problem with the cooling fan in my 2003 Saturn l200. The fan runs constantly and never shuts off only when it's pretty hot outside will it not run. The check engine light is also on when the fan is running. I put a new temp sensor in and that didn't do anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** you know what diagnostic code your getting? I'm assuming fan shuts of with key? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ya it shuts off with the key but as soon as you turn it on it starts running again I had a friend hook it up last winter to get diagnostic but don't remember exactly what it was all I know is it was something with the cooling. If I unhook the battery to reset the computer the fan stays off for about a day then starts doing the same thing again.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

This usually means the thermostat has failed setting a code P0128 which means vehicle is taking too long to warm up. When computer see's this it runs the cooling fan at all times just to be safe incase temperature reading is incorrect. So at this point I'd replace the thermostat, make sure to use a AC Delco brand. Let me know if you have more questions or would like replacement instructions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I'll give it a try thanks.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No problem. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions. Thanks again and have a good day!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dan just wanted to let you know that I had the new thermostat put in the Saturn today and that wasn't the problem because the fan is still running any other thing I could try?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Next time your check engine light comes on have codes checked at your local parts store and let me know what they are. Thanks.