Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, 32 Yrs Exp, All Cars/trucks
13677702

I have a 2004 ion. Had the Timing chain oiler problem, guide

Customer Question

I have a 2004 ion. Had the Timing chain oiler problem, guide failure etc. Replaced it all. Tried to start..barely firing on 1 or 2 cylinders. Pulled head saw marks on valves and pistons where they hit. Replace head (new) did water pump while disassembled and thermostat. All back together ran great...at first 50 or so miles but Im hearing what sounds like a rod bearing knock and its getting worse. So now, Im thinking swap with used motor, changeover the head, cam gears, chain, guides, water pump etc. My question is, can I pull this motor out through the top? 4 years ago, I swapped the failed CVT type trans (and all the associated parts) with the, I believe it was the M43 automatic transmission and its been great since. I dont have the capabilities at home to remove motor and trans out together through the bottom. So can I maybe loosen the trans and unbolt it from the block and pull the motor by itself through the topside? I've read online that the manual says out the bottom with the trans but it this really required?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my thought was just enough of a hit to affect rod bearing or wrist pin, Not that common but have seen this, I cant say where or what is the knock but can answer you question.. NO you cannot go out the top. The engine cant gofar enough forward to clear the torque converter/flywheel from the trans etc and not enough clearance in the front, It just is not possible, just not enough room, It is lowerd on the cradle with the trans. I hate giving bad news and I promise, if it was possible, I sure would say so. Glad to send the whole procedure in .pdf if you need it,My thought? drop the oil pand, undo the rod caps, inspect the bearings and caps, you will know if one is spun, clean, emory cloth the crank and slip a new bearing in, This can be done from underside without pulling engine