K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Saturn Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

I have a 2008 Saturn VUE, with climate control. The only way

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Saturn VUE, with climate control. The only way I can get heat is to turn the temperature control knob all the way cold then all the way to hot. If I go from cold or warm to warmer/hot the air blowing out gets colder.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hello, does it have the auto climate control option?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** most often caused when the actuator for the air door is going bad. Replacement takes about a half hour and is fairly simple. It's part # ***** I'll post a link to the part and how to replace it below.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-15781467-Inlet-Valve-Actuator/dp/B00GV8XEV2

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it is the actuator why does it work to vary the temperature from hot to cold but not cold to hot yet it will go to the full hot position? Seems to me the actuator is moving the damper. Just want to make sure before I order the part. Thanks
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Usually what happens is a tooth will strip in the actuator (they're plastic) so it won't move small amounts but at full it will move enough to get past the bad spot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would that be the case? Because as I state in my original question, when going from warm to hot it gets colder as if the actuator is traveling in the wrong direction. I hope your correct because would be a simple fix.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the actuator becomes confused so to speak because it cannot go to the proper position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thanks! I will try the actuator replacement.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome that should take care of it. If you do continue to have problems just reply back. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did see in the installation information you provided, that the actuator must be recalibrated after replacement. That procedure is not explained.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

My apologies for omiting that. Recalibration must be done with a scan tool such as the GM Tech 2 or similar snap on scanner. You will likely come out better just paying a shop to do the whole thing rather than paying a half hour for labor just to have them recalibrate them. See info below.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Want to guess again. After I ordered the part before you told me you forgot to mention having to pay for calibration. I installed it, paid for calibration and still the same problem. What a waste of money!