Super mechanic
Super mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook without variable steering

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook without variable steering assist. The steering rack has gone bad. I purchased a new rack and realized that this unit DOES have variable steering assist (it has the solenoid module with the connector, my original unit does not). I have the car apart and ready to accept this new rack. Will it work okay? I know that I won't have the variable power assist and I'm fine with that, but I wanted to see if this rack will function the same as a rack that does not have the variable power assist option.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Super mechanic replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

….

Yes, that is basically the same steering rack as the one without the VSA, (just costs more) and it won't restrict the flow of fluid when there is no current running to it. The steering will work just like the original rack.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

.

Thanks

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so just to be absolutely sure (because it is a LOT of work to swap this steering rack)... The gearing and steering feel of the steering rack that I bought (which has the variable steering assist option) will be the same as a new power steering rack that does NOT have the variable steering assist option, correct. I just want to make sure that the manufacturer didn't gear this rack differently (for variable steering assist compared to a rack without it) because it may not feel right since I do not have the variable steering assist option on my car.

Normally we get paid for the original answer(s) before any follow ups, but yes that is the same rack it just has the VSA solenoid on it, (#9). All of the insides are the same, thanks