Chris (aka- Moose), Saturn Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2002 Saturn vue - fan motor speed switch is bad, fell apart

Customer Question

2002 Saturn vue - fan motor speed switch is bad, fell apart in hand. Purple wire connection burnt in plug and back side of switch, how can I check the blower motor and the resistor pack? Tried to remove connection at resistor pack, what is the trick?
Category: Saturn
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuses are good
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

You can check the blower motor by hooking it directly to the battery.

At the blower resistor there should b a tab you press on the connector to unlock it so you can pull it free. An OHM meter is needed to check the resistor, do you own one?

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine, been to many schools and classes through my 12 years with the dealership to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating an answer is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating or if you cannot rate me so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have meter. What are the readings of the resistor pack? What are the readings wire to wire? Purple, yellow, lt blue, tan, bulk....... What does the burnt wire tell me about the motor or pack? How do I connect my motor directly to the battery? Is there a place underneath the dash to make this connection? Looking for answers sooner than later, please.... trying to get this back together today.... Need answers earlier than 1am. Sorry to sound sarcastic......
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bulk=black

Have meter. What are the readings of the resistor pack? -------The resistance numbers are going to change based on the resistor temp and age. Test the purple wire to the light blue, then tan, then yellow, the resistance should get higher for each tested in that order.

What does the burnt wire tell me about the motor or pack? ------------The purple wire is the ground for the blower when set on high. This wire burnt means the blower is bad, drawing to many amps or brown wire, the ground for the blower switch is not a good enough ground and has resistance.

How do I connect my motor directly to the battery? -----------Unplug the blower and run wires from its connector to the battery or to jumper cables connected to the battery.

Is there a place underneath the dash to make this connection? --------------Yes, at the blower motor.

I hate that you spent money to get your question answered, though left not pleased with my help. I am still here available to help. We can start over from the beginning or where we left off.

Thanks Chris