Amedee
Amedee, Saturn Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My name is I have a 03 Saturn vue 3.0 motor. This not my

Customer Question

Customer: my name is john I have a 03 Saturn vue 3.0 motor. This not my first valve job on a motor. The motor was working fine till the tensoner pully frose in place and the timming belt jumped two notches on one camshaft bending the valves. I did replace all the valves and seals and gaskets. now the motor turns over just fine but will not start. i have checked for fuel and am getting fuel to the motor. I also rechecked all the wires to make sure they were all connected.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what do i do next
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Saturn Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: if i have to pay i will i have been on this problem for two days.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome John! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

So the engine cranks over but does not start correct? Have you checked engine compression?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did repull the spark plugs out and they were kind of wet just like a small gas motor that is getting fuel but no spark.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Thank you! Does the engine have spark when cranking it over?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont know How can i check it the plugs are located below the intake manifold.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so we dont even know if the engine has spark correct?

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

You should be able to get at the front three plugs to check for spark.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Since we think it is going to be related to the valve timing, your best bet would be to check for compression next. I would just do the first three cylinders that are easy to get to and then go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is correct how do you check for spark with the engine together. the only access to the plugs is to take off the intake manifold and remove the coil packs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
each coil pac has three plugs
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

YOu could simply do that to check for spark. Or you can check for a signal going into each coil pack to see if the coil is getting a signal to fire spark while cranking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok since the chiltons manual does not cover that type of trouble shooting how do i check for a signal going to the coil pac
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

You can use a test light. IT should have power while cranking and then it should get a ground signal trigger while cranking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
whear do i attach the the test light??????
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

At the coil pack or the wiring going to it.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Please call me so I can explain in more detail

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.