Pete, Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  17 years Saturn Technician experience.
14928985

Installed a Boss radio into my 2002 Saturn SL, it has power

Customer Question

Installed a Boss radio into my 2002 Saturn SL, it has power but no sound.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this here.

The first thing to check is to make sure the radio has power at two power feeds as this model uses two power feeds to fully power it up.If this is o.k. Make sure the speaker connections have been connected properly.If you did not use a connector adapter to connect any after market radio you may have installed this is the best way to ensure that it is connected properly.If you hard wired each wire you want to make sure you wired it properly.If you are unsure if it was wired properly I can locate the info on how this is wired to each speaker.

If you know for sure it was wired properly but no sound comes out this indicates either the new radio is defective as this model does not use a sound amp or there is an issue with shorted speaker wiring to one of the speakers or one of the speakers itself is shorted needing replaced.

These are the reasons for no sound on this model here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Speakers are hooked up correctly. Radio has Memory 12V wire and 12v Plus wire with fuse. Saturn has Orange 12v wire. Do I connect them all together? Saturn has four extra wires not hooked up.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

You need a constant power wire connected to the radio constant power connection and then an ignition fed power wire connected to the radio where the radio receives power with the key on or engine running.Then your speakers connected and to make sure the radio is grounded or has a ground connection which it sounds like it does since it does power up properly.

Make sure you have the constant power and ignition powers connected properly to the radio.

If you need info on which wire does what on this model let me know as well as let me know if this model came equipped with the cd changer option.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
neef wire schematic, explaining each Saturn radio wire. 2002 Saturn SL, no CD changer. In the harnes the following locations have wire, A6 and A8-12 and B1, B3-4, and B8-12
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The orange wire in B1 is the only power from the battery or ignition that I can find.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

The orange wire should have constant voltage leading from the radio (bat) 10 amp fuse in the instrument panel fuse box.There should be a yellow wire in terminal A06 that should have battery voltage with the key on,engine running or key in accessory position.

Speaker wires are al follows:

B08 tan wire l/f speaker positive

B09 gray wire l/f speaker negative

A11 light green wire r/f speaker positive

A10 dark green wire r/f speaker negative

A08 brown wire l/r speaker positive

A09 yellow wire l/r speaker negative

B11 dark blue wire r/r speaker positive

B10 light blue wire r/r speaker negative

Your ground wire is terminal a12 black wire and connects to chassis ground

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, I reworded based on your schematic and the unit powers up as suppose to and enough power to open the video panel, but still no sound. Is the an amp in the car that needs power somewhere or another dude for the speakers? Or is all power to the speakers from the radio?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The equalizer in the radio is showing sound waves but no sound through speakers, not even static.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Is there an after market amp installed in this model here or are you saying there is a factory amplifier?