K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Saturn Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

Looking to buy a Saturn Ion 2003(112k miles – owner had the

Customer Question

Looking to buy a Saturn Ion 2003(112k miles – owner had the car for last 10k) , the engine is good but the Windows, power mirrors and door lock doesn’t work. (passage automatic door lock does work.) Person claims they were all working… on-and-off at one time.
The person said he removed the drive door cover, replaced the electrical widow switch but it didn’t change anything. We checked the fuses and they looked ok…..and also a box in the engine compartment(8” black box) switched a few things back and forth. He also(when I was there) checked the wires coming into the window switches and lock and it show they were getting power. Not sure from here? I don’t want to buy the car if it will cost ~ $300 hundreds or more to fix. What could it be? What possibilities?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hello, the one thing all these items have in common that has likely failed is the body control module (BCM) I'll post an estimate below for you. It may help you haggle some over the price.

If you have any questions just reply back. If not, please take a moment to rate my service. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Q. If I have a friend buy this part and it doesn't work, can he return it? Q- is this something I could find at a junk yard?
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

If you purchase it from the link below, I do believe they would accept a return

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1431614&parttype=2888

You can likely find it in a salvage yard. I suggest trying this salvage network search.

http://car-part.com/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, if the BCM was bad, would every thing else on the car work fine? Or would other things not work? Thanks
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

It has seperate circuits for these items. Sometimes part of the body features like windows will quit while things like the fuel gauge will still work.