Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I have a Saturn Vue, no alert lights are on in my car, oil

Customer Question

Hi I have a Saturn Vue, no alert lights are on in my car, oil is full, but when I start it white smoke comes out of the tailpipe and it smells bad. My car doesn't sound right.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

Does the white smoke evaporate and dissapear quickly or does it hang around for a long time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hangs around for a long time and smells

Thanks,

The reason i asked is because white smoke usually indicates coolant burning off in the cylinders and has a sickening sweet type smell and oil burning has more blue color. So if its not engine coolant burning it would be oil but it takes a trained eye to tell plus You will need to have the compression tested to see if the piston rings are weak and allowing oil to get past them and then get burnt in the cylinders. It would require a shop to test this because it is not as easy as it may seem.

Parts stores sell a kit that you take a sample of the engine coolant and see if it turns color to tell if its coolant burning so you might try that test first.

I hope that i have provided the information you were seeking. If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you. If you have another question about this please let me know so l can continue to help you.
You can still ask questions even after you do the required rating and there is no further charge!