Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  35 years experience in the automotive and Lt truck repair business, owner Cardoctor LLC Guthrie, OK
36867192

I have a 2001 Saturn sl1, manual transmission very few

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Saturn sl1, manual transmission very few options. AC is it I believe. I'm having some sort of serious electrical issue. The car starts and runs fine, but the gauges are working very worldly. I have no connection at the obd 2 port. I have power but no communication. The gauges light up but for the most part do not work. They come on for a split second (sometimes) when I downshift. The odometer does not display the mileage increase in real time. When I downshift and the gauges work for a half a second it will update the mileage accordingly. The ses light, service soon light with wrench, airbag light, fuel low light, and security light stay lit most of the time as well. The daytime running lights don't come on when I start the car but come on when I turn the car off. And stay on with the key out. Depressing the clutch will cause them to turn off and stay off. I have checked all fuses with a test light checked the ground at the pcm and at the battery. Appears normal with no big corrosion. I have had 30plus s series cars and the grounds appear fine. My intuition tells me that there must be a bad ground or electrical connection somewhere and the only thing that seems to change anything is pressing the clutch. Or the jolt to the car by a downshift. The car was towed behind an RV for a good part of its life if that helps point you in a certain direction. I bought the car with the electrical issue.
Thanks
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

Most likely the vehicle has an internal failure in the instrument cluster for sure, in addition to that it may be rodent damage to the wiring causing intermittent short circuits with movement of the wiring harnesses, thorough examination off the wiring is in order. Please rate my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not please ask me another question,i will continue to answer your questions even after rating i given until you are satisfied with my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response. Honestly that doesn't really seem as specific as an answer as I wanted. I'm hoping to talk to someone that has had this exact thing happen and I have read quite a few answers to other questions by "15yearsaturnguy" and would really value his take on this particular issue. He seems to have very specific experience with Saturn s series cars. Thanks for the info and please let me know how I can get that second opinion.

I will opt out so you can request him directly through customer service, have a nice day! FYI, I have owned 3 full service repair facilities in 2 states, I have been a MasterTech for over 15 years,and have probably repaired 1000+ Saturns, again ,have a nice day!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I still give you a good rating? This is my first post on here. I'm new. Was also biased toward hopefully talking with him on this topic. Thanks for your help.

Yes of course,but you would then have to repost another question, i don't want to put you like that, I can still opt out if you want me to. Please rate my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not please ask me another question,i will continue to answer your questions even after rating i given until you are satisfied with my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you lets just do that and I'll try and get Incontact with him.

Best of luck, I will opt out, have a good day!