sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2008 Saturn Sky Redline-I turned the wheels so I could wash

Customer Question

2008 Saturn Sky Redline-I turned the wheels so I could wash them after turning off the car.Now my steering wheel is locked and car won't start!!What other details do you need? Thanks Deborah
Category: Saturn
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm assuming you're unable to turn the key past the locked position. If you had turned the steering wheel with the key removed then you most likely turned it far enough that the column locked. If the column locked when turning the wheel with the engine off then when you let go of the wheel it would have sprung back against the lock, which will be keeping pressure on it now. this will make it very hard for the key to turn.

What you'll want to do is grab the steering wheel with one hand and the key with the other. While attempting to turn the key, use the other hand to move the steering wheel left and right. One direction it will be immediately up against the lock, it will move slightly in the other direction. When you turn it the correct direction it will take the pressure off the lock and the key will turn.