C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and hands on experience.
73583367

Took my car in recall in April, yesterday 9/12, my car

Customer Question

Took my car in for a recall in April, yesterday 9/12, my car batteyr died and when I went the release lever to lift hood, it was no longer there. I can't the car hood up. My car was broadsided in 2009 and it's difficult at best to raise it. What can I do?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 1 year ago.

What you need to do is pull the hood release while having a second person push down and up on the hood at the same time. Sometimes this can be tricky but basically it will not come up on its own. Once you get the hood to pop you will have to fish in there to get the release.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My neighbor managed to get the hood of my car up, by himself, charged the battery for me, so that I was able to drive it to have a new hood release installed and a new battery which saved me the cost of having the car towed.
All of this problem with the hood release was because, when I took my Saturn for a GM recall at a Chevrolet dealership, they repaired the power steering broke the hood release, didn't replace it and didn't even tell me about it.

That is not okay. You need to contact the service manager at the dealership and explain to him what happened. If the mechanic broke it and did not tell you about it he needs to be reprimanded. These guys should not be in the field. It leaves a bad name for us good mechanics and hurts the customer relations. It should be covered by the repair shop at no cost to you. Make sure you speak with the service manager and express your frustrations with them and that you now are very worried about having them touch your vehicle.