Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year as an ASE Tech
7276279

Saturn vue will not shut off ignition switch replaced 2

Customer Question

saturn vue will not shut off ignition switch replaced 2 times ignition lock and key two times ecm 3 times no help
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

While the problem is occurring will the engine shut off if you unplug the ignition switch? Check this for me and post back with the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will try that today. It's really bad weather here today if it stops raining I will try that. Thks
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

No problem, stay dry and post back when you can. I'm here all day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you going tell me whats next i have repled 4 times need info
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

I am only seeing the one reply in the link, did you unplug the switch and see if the engine shuts off/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
key is off car running pulled plug car shut off
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Well if it shuts off with the switch unplugged that would indicate the switch is either bad or you have short to power in the wiring diagram. Are you replacing the ignition switch or the lock assembly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Yes to which one, the lock assembly or the actual ignition switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lock assembly 1 and ingitswitch 2
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Well if you are sure the new switch is not defective then that would only leave a short to power someplace in the circuit and or harness. All your doing when you unplug the switch is opening the circuit.

See some thing to check.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Igntion%20sept%2014.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will Ck later
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Okay, if you sure the new switch is not defective then something has to be causing a short to power.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok drove car to day when key is off now tried to kill it with upluging ignition switch no help it must been a freak deal before when it shut off but now with key off car running pulled ignition switch plug car does not shut off ..
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Something has to be feeding into the power circuit, unfortunately with out being there to do some hands on checking as well as testing I can not tell you where for sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any way it could be a relay hang up by chance ????
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is possible but with out being there to do the testing I can not be for sure. One way to determine if that is the case is start pulling relay one at a time while the problem is occurring.