George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

I have a 1999 Saturn SL2 4 door sedan with 1.9L DOHC ...

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Saturn SL2 4 door sedan with 1.9L DOHC ... with 5-speed manual trans.. Car has 69,300 miles on it. Issue is related to a high pitch squeak or squeal that begins to occur and increases in intensity when the clutch pedal is pressed in or let out ... noise does not occur when car is cold and sits for several hours. Once started the clutch pedal does not make any noise with squeaking until the car is driven for 5 or minutes .... then it begins with little .of squeaking or squawking and intensifies as you continue to drive. A garage repair at Goodyear used some white grease on the inside of the firewall where the pushrod moves from the clutch pedal thru the hole in the firewall ... this did NOT fix the problem. What is causing the awful noise ? ***@******.***
Category: Saturn
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The noise only happens when you push the clutch pedal or release it?

This is a known issue and greasing the push rod or the pedal bushing will not stop the noise. Replacing the master/slave assembly with a pre bled assembly (part is $146) (labor about $100) is the only way to stop the noise permanently.

Please let me know how i can help you with your question

Thank you